Splunk Search

Changing the order of displayed single field values in a timechart column

sendijsd
Engager

Hello, fellow Splunkers.

I am currently trying to create a stacked timechart column using a simple search query: timechart count by type limit=0
Since Splunk uses lexicographical ordering by default, I ended up getting an undesired end result.

In this particular situation, I have several types(values of the single field) that I would like to display next to each other in the column chart and to do that I have tried assigning a numerical values by using eval/case commands and then sorting the values like this:

timechart count by type limit=0 | eval sort_field=case(type="type1",1, type="type2",2, type="type3",3, type="type4",4) | sort sort_field

This approach had no effect whatsoever and no values were changed/re-ordered. As far as I can tell, not even the sort_field was created.I think there is a specific behavior when using this method with timecharts/charts, but I have not yet figured out a working solution. I managed to debug it a little bit further by trying to re-construct the search bit-by-bit and when I removed the timechart:

... | eval sort_field=case(type="type1",1, type="type2",2, type="type3",3, type="type4",4) | sort sort_field

I could see that the field(sort_field) only had 1 value(the first order value):
alt text

I do believe that there is a major syntax error on my part or something else entirely that I don't fundamentally understand yet.
To sum it up, I am trying to create a column chart showing the count of events based on their type over a period of time. The problem is that the types(chart legend values) are being alphabetically ordered and I would like them to appear in a custom order on the chart.
Perhaps there is someone with more charting experience willing to lend a helping hand? It would be most appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| eval _time=if((count == 2),relative_time('_time',"-7d@d"),relative_time('_time',"@d")) 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| eval type="type".(random() % 4 +1) 
| table _time type
| timechart limit=0 count by type

Hi, @sendijsd
please try this query. Result is below.

_time,type1,type2,type3,type4
2019/11/30,4,7,8,5
2019/12/01,9,3,8,4

This is the current order.
Use fields or table to change it.

| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| eval _time=if((count == 2),relative_time('_time',"-7d@d"),relative_time('_time',"@d")) 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type
| table _time type4,type3,type2,type1

I hope this can solve your problem.

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type

Hi, @sendijsd
please try this query. Result is below.

_time,type1,type2,type3,type4
2019/11/30,4,7,8,5
2019/12/01,9,3,8,4

This is the current order.
Use fields or table to change it.

| makeresults count=2 
| streamstats count 
| makecontinuous span=1h 
| table _time type
| table _time type4,type3,type2,type1

I hope this can solve your problem.

sendijsd
Engager

Hey, @to4kawa

This was exactly what I was looking for. I am accepting your answer, thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...