Splunk Search

Case insensitive field extraction and reporting

rahiparikh
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to extract a field from logs and generate report from it. Basically, I am trying to identify the authentication method.

My current search looks like -

* | rex "(?<authentication_type>(?i)(password))" | search password

This extracts a field called authentication_type with value password. But, it considers Password and password to be two different values. Does anyone know how can I force splunk to consider both the same values?

Thanks,

Rahil

0 Karma
1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

Splunk's search command is case insensitive. When creating a report, Splunk will consider these to be seperate values. If you want to make reporting commands insensitive to the case of a field, we can convert the field using eval and lower.

For example:

* | rex "(?<authentication_type>(?i)(password))" | eval authentication_type=lower(authentication_type) | search authentication_type=password

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

Splunk's search command is case insensitive. When creating a report, Splunk will consider these to be seperate values. If you want to make reporting commands insensitive to the case of a field, we can convert the field using eval and lower.

For example:

* | rex "(?<authentication_type>(?i)(password))" | eval authentication_type=lower(authentication_type) | search authentication_type=password

rahiparikh
Explorer

Wow! I didn't know that one! Thanks! 🙂

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

That is correct. You can make the regular expression insensitive to case, but not the value extracted. Eval must be used @ search time for this.

0 Karma

lakshayanand

How to make regular expression insensitive to case?

0 Karma

rahiparikh
Explorer

So, what if I don't extract fields at search time but extract using the manager? Will splunk consider Password and password different? If so, am I always required to use eval and lower functions at reporting type?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...