Splunk Search

Capture groups extracting empty values from log messages

search_in_splun
Explorer

Requesting help with search query. I have application logs in Splunk like,

• 2024-04-02T12:26:02.244-04:00,severity=DEBUG,thread=main,logger=org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener,{},Creating JNDI naming context
  • 2024-04-02T12:26:02.118-04:00,severity=DEBUG,thread=main,logger=org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener,{}, Adding resource ref UserDatabase ResourceRef[className=org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase,factoryClassLocation=null,factoryClassName=org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory,{type=description,content=User database that can be updated and saved},{type=scope,content=Shareable},{type=auth,content=Container},{type=singleton,content=true},{type=factory,content=org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory},{type=pathname,content=conf/tomcat-users.xml}]

And I'm using following query to separate different sections of the message,

• index=my_app_index AND source="**/my-app-service.log" AND sourcetype="app_v1"|rex="(?<mydatetime>^\S*)\,severity=(?<severity>\S*)\,thread=(?<thread>\S*)\,logger=(?<logger>\S*)\,\{\}\,(?<logmsg>(.)*)"|table mydatetime,logger,thread,_raw,logmsg|rename logmsg AS MESSAGE

What I see is,

• column mydatetime and logmsg(MESSAGE) are empty.

What I expect is,

• column mydatetime contain initial date-time, and logmsg(MESSAGE)  contain the last message part
mydatetimeloggerthreadlogmsg
2024-04-02T12:26:02.244-04:00org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListenermainCreating JNDI naming context
2024-04-02T12:26:02.118-04:00org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListenermainAdding resource ref UserDatabase ResourceRef[className=org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase,factoryClassLocation=null,factoryClassName=org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory,{type=description,content=User database that can be updated and saved},{type=scope,content=Shareable},{type=auth,content=Container},{type=singleton,content=true},{type=factory,content=org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory},{type=pathname,content=conf/tomcat-users.xml}]
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need the = after the rex

| rex "(?<mydatetime>^\S*)\,severity=(?<severity>\S*)\,thread=(?<thread>\S*)\,logger=(?<logger>\S*)\,\{\}\,(?<logmsg>.*)"

Updated to remove brackets in the logmsg pattern

View solution in original post

search_in_splun
Explorer

Yes indeed it does solve the issue, but now there's a new issue

Streamed search execute failed because: Error in 'rex' command: regex="(?<mydatetime>^\S*)\,severity=(?<severity>\S*)\,thread=(?<thread>\S*)\,logger=(?<logger>\S*)\,\{\}\,(?<logmsg>(.)*)" has exceeded the configured depth_limit, consider raising the value in limits.conf..

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This regex works with the sample events and is much more efficient according to regex101.com.

| rex "(?<mydatetime>[^,]+),severity=(?<severity>[^,]+),thread=(?<thread>[^,]+),logger=(?<logger>[^,]+),\{\},(?<logmsg>.*)"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

search_in_splun
Explorer

And this rex doesn't produce any error

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Again, what's with the = after the regex? Is this just a typo?

0 Karma

search_in_splun
Explorer

I re-checked by putting the rex you've provided once again without the equal(=) symbol, but surprisingly the error message comes back with words 'regex='

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need the = after the rex

| rex "(?<mydatetime>^\S*)\,severity=(?<severity>\S*)\,thread=(?<thread>\S*)\,logger=(?<logger>\S*)\,\{\}\,(?<logmsg>.*)"

Updated to remove brackets in the logmsg pattern

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...