Splunk Search

Can you help me with the following regex expression?

zacksoft
Contributor

I have events from which I need to extract the strings that fall before the string "raced to road"

Here is a sample event:

'com.pyxis.greengoblin.phutan' - 'PhutanAgile'  raced to road.
            Error creating bean with name 'sampleDataGeneratorImpl' defined in URL [bundle://187.0:1/com/bsassian/greengoblin/sampledata/SampleDataGeneratorImpl.class]:
It was loaded from /bsahare/bsaassian/application-data/jirabiz/plugins/installed-plugins/plugin.8763102878749631573.loovytuner-5.5.28.jar    
        'com.bsa.phutan.plugins.bsa-development-integration-blogin' - 'Bsassian Phutan - blogins - Development Integration blogin'  raced to road.

The Strings that need to be extracted in the above sample events are 'PhutanAgile' and 'Bsassian Phutan - blogins - Development Integration blogin'

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

Hi @zacksoft,
Try this:

|rex max_match=0 "(?<a>[^']+)\'\s*raced to road"

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

The simplistic (.*)raced to road. extracts it ; - )

0 Karma

Super Champion

Hi @zacksoft,
Try this:

|rex max_match=0 "(?<a>[^']+)\'\s*raced to road"

zacksoft
Contributor

@493669 Thanks for the help. Where is the extracted string getting stored. I need to use the extracted string in a table command.

0 Karma

Super Champion

field is extracted in fieldname a you can change as per your need to show it in table

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

Something like this?

.+?(?=raced to road)

https://regex101.com/r/0A66nK/1

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Almost, but he doesn't want the entire string, just the bit in between ' right in front of "raced to road".

So it should be: [^\']+?(?=\'\s+raced to road)
https://regex101.com/r/0A66nK/2

But the solution presented by @493669 seems to be a lot more efficient (factor 30 in steps reported by regex101).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...