Splunk Search

Can tables be used with top to display additional event fields

kelie
Path Finder

Goal is to return a table that displays the Top 10  (md5) hashes in  recorded alerts received over a 60 days period. 

So base search is :

index=cb eventtype=bit9_carbonblack_alert status=Resolved|top limit=10 md5 

but for each returned result, id like to also show its filename and process_name

index=cb eventtype=bit9_carbonblack_alert status=Resolved |table md5 process_name observed_filename

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kelie,

Your final query is not much different than mine, since you do not use UID it is better to remove it as an optimization. Below should give the same result;

index=cb eventtype=bit9_carbonblack_alert status=Resolved 
| stats values(process_name) as Process values(observed_filename) as Filename count as Hits BY md5 
| sort 10 -Hits 
| rename md5 as "MD5 Hash"
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kelie,

Your final query is not much different than mine, since you do not use UID it is better to remove it as an optimization. Below should give the same result;

| stats values(process_name) as Process values(observed_filename) as Filename count as Hits BY md5 
| sort 10 -Hits 
| rename md5 as "MD5 Hash"

kelie
Path Finder

with some tweaking i produced this

|stats dc(unique_id) as UID count values(process_name) as Process values(observed_filename) as Filename BY md5 |sort 10 -count|fields md5 Process Filename count |rename md5 as "MD5 Hash" count as "Hits"

im still new to splunk so critique as needed if not optimized. This query though does line up with the fields i needed and seems to align with a base + top limit search

0 Karma

kelie
Path Finder

my base search with a top limit yields very different results see below

kelie_0-1614268014712.png

vs

| sort 10 - md5
| table md5 process_name observed_filename

kelie_1-1614268211013.png

vs

|stats count values(process_name) as process_name values(observed_filename) as observed_filename by md5
| sort 10 - md5 

kelie_2-1614268301897.png

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Missing process_name or observed_filename fields does not effect the stats since they are not in group by side. They will be listed if any. 

That search will show top 10 count for md5 field and available extra fields if any.

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kelie,

You can try with stats to see the details of hashes;

|stats count values(process_name) as process_name values(observed_filename) as observed_filename by md5
| sort 10 - md5 

kelie
Path Finder

| sort 10 - md5 

I wouldnt be able to rely on the above as the events do not always have a process_name or observed_name.  

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The top command discards all fields except the ones in its arguments.  Try using sort, instead.

| sort 10 - md5
| table md5 process_name observed_filename
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

kelie
Path Finder

i have to include a top or even a count as i need the top 10 number of events by md5. the additional fields provide context for what the software is

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The sort 10 command is the same as top 10, but doesn't throw away fields.  Try it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...