Splunk Search

Can't I use backslashes in Splunk searches?

pavanae
Builder

I have a Splunk query as below which pulls some events.

index="windows_events" TargetFileName="*startup*"

Now from the events I picked the below TargetFileName field value 

\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\XYZ\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Send to AbC.lnk

Now I wanted to search specifically for the above field and for that I used the below query which gives me no results. 

`get_All_CrowdstrikeEDR` event_simpleName=FileCreateInfo os="Win" TargetFileName="*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*"

Now, what I dont understand is when I tried the first query I am able to see some events though I used wild cards before and after startup

Now, when I extended the wild card with actual value why isn't working?

Can't I use backslashes in Splunk searches?

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried escaping the backslashes?  The \ character is used for escaping so to specify a \ you must escape it.

`get_All_CrowdstrikeEDR` event_simpleName=FileCreateInfo os="Win" TargetFileName="*\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup\\*"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried escaping the backslashes?  The \ character is used for escaping so to specify a \ you must escape it.

`get_All_CrowdstrikeEDR` event_simpleName=FileCreateInfo os="Win" TargetFileName="*\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup\\*"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...