Splunk Search

Can splunk compare two strings and return % likeness/similarity between the two?

Moogz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For example, if i have a username of bsmith843 in a field returned by one search, and bsmiths845 as a field from another search, is there any way to gauge the similarity between the two strings? I know i can use wildcards/regex to try and match the strings, but if i can't match everyone i would like to know how similar they are..

wrangler2x
Motivator

And from even further in the future...

There is an app in Splunkbase which supports Levenshtein distance, Damerau-Levenshtein_distance, Jaro distance, Jaro winkler, match rating comparison, and Hamming distance comparisons, plus a number of phonetic algorithms, including soundex. It is called JellyFisher. Here is a sample Levenshtein distance evaluation using this app:

... | jellyfisher levensthein_distance(sourcetype,source)

What would be returned here is an integer, according to this description of Levenshtein distance.

Each of the JellyFisher functions returns the result in a field named after the function (i.e., levensthein_distance, damerau_levenshtein_distance, soundex).

Here is a link to the JellyFisher app.

Here is a mocked-up use of it:

| makeresults
| eval foo="kitten", bar="smitten" 
| jellyfisher levenshtein_distance(foo, bar) 
| table foo bar levenshtein_distance 

alt text

Lowell
Super Champion

There is a python function that does something very close to this. It returns a number between 0 and 1 based on the similarity of two terms. You can find it in the difflib module.

Here is a really quick example of an app named "fieldcompare" which contains a single python search command. The app is made up of the following files:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/fieldcompare/bin/fieldcompare.py

import splunk.Intersplunk
import difflib

(isgetinfo, sys.argv) = splunk.Intersplunk.isGetInfo(sys.argv)
args, kwargs = splunk.Intersplunk.getKeywordsAndOptions()

if isgetinfo:
    # streaming, generating, retevs, reqsop, preop
    splunk.Intersplunk.outputInfo(True, False, False, False, None)

(results, dummyresults, settings) = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()

field1_name = kwargs.get("field1", "field1")
field2_name = kwargs.get("field2", "field2")
output_field = kwargs.get("result", "ratio")

try:
    for result in results:
        try:
            f1 = result[field1_name]
            f2 = result[field2_name]
        except KeyError:
            # If either field is missing, simply ignore
            continue

sm = difflib.SequenceMatcher(None, f1, f2)
        result[output_field] = sm.ratio()

splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

except Exception, e:
    splunk.Intersplunk.generateErrorResults("Unhandled exception:  %s" % (e,))

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/fieldcompare/default/commands.conf:

[fieldcompare]
filename = fieldcompare.py
supports_getinfo = true

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/fieldcompare/metadata/default.meta:

[commands/fieldcompare]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin ]
export = system

[scripts/fieldcompare.py]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin ]
export = system

If the example show above, the search command and app are called "fieldcompare", but you can use any name you want.

Here is a usage example:

... | fieldcompare field1=first_field field2=compare_field results=output | eval percent=round(100*output,2) | sort - percent

Be sure to look over the Custom search commands docs page for additional details about how you go about setting this up within your splunk environment.

muralianup
Communicator

I used this script but its throwing "Error in 'script': Getinfo probe failed for external search command 'fieldcompare'" error. Any suggestions ?

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, this can be done using a custom search script and one of the many Python modules that can compare strings. You can take a look at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/682367/good-python-modules-for-fuzzy-string-comparison which discusses using the Levenshtein distance as a measure. With more detail about your use case, I could suggest how to structure a search and custom command, but this should be enough to start with.

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I bring to you a message from the future! Nimsh wrote a Levenshtein custom command at some point .. https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1898/

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...