Splunk Search

Can multiple wildcards be used in serverclass.conf whitelist

cloroxx
Explorer

Can multiple wildcards be used in serverclass.conf whitelist file? 

whitelist.from_pathname = /lookup/host.txt

Examples:

M*WEB*

*WBS*

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

_JP
Contributor

You should be able to, although it isn't called out in the docs for serverclass.conf directly.

There are a couple of other configuration parameters you can set to get a bit of logic in the matching, too, if that is helpful:

whitelist.where_field
whitelist.where_equals
blacklist.where_field
blacklist.where_equals

If you think the docs are unclear and should include a multiple wildcard example, then I suggest submitting feedback via the form at the bottom of every Splunk docs page.  That team has always been responsive for improving the documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cloroxx
Explorer

Thanks @_JP.  My goal was to account for servers in two data centers with identical names except the 2nd character which designates the datacenter and avoid having to maintain separate host files for each data center. I know the trailing wildcard works, I just wasn't sure if adding a wildcard at the beginning or in the middle would work. 

0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

You should be able to, although it isn't called out in the docs for serverclass.conf directly.

There are a couple of other configuration parameters you can set to get a bit of logic in the matching, too, if that is helpful:

whitelist.where_field
whitelist.where_equals
blacklist.where_field
blacklist.where_equals

If you think the docs are unclear and should include a multiple wildcard example, then I suggest submitting feedback via the form at the bottom of every Splunk docs page.  That team has always been responsive for improving the documentation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...