Splunk Search

Can I format the y-axis on a chart to properly display military time?

szimmer661
Explorer

I'm using the following to chart job end times over date:

index = ironstream MSGNUM = "IEF404I" ( JOBNAME = TZRPD85 OR TZRPDV9 OR TZRPD35 ) | eval JobEndDate=strftime(_time,"%m/%d/%Y") | eval JobEndTime=strftime(_time,"%H%M") | lookup MF_Jobname_Info.csv JOBNAME OUTPUT Job_Desc | eval JobNameDesc=JOBNAME+" "+Job_Desc | chart earliest(JobEndTime) over JobEndDate by JobNameDesc

The chart is working, except the JobEndTime, meant to be military time, is displaying on the y-axis as comma delimited whole numbers without leading zeroes.

Can I format the y-axis to properly display military time?

Thanks, Steve

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The y-axis values have to be numeric and the military time formatting will make it string. I don't think there is a workaround to this.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Sounds like you need the timeline app

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3120/

0 Karma

szimmer661
Explorer

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will investigate the timeline app.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The y-axis values have to be numeric and the military time formatting will make it string. I don't think there is a workaround to this.

0 Karma

szimmer661
Explorer

Thank you for the prompt reply. When I tried leaving the time alone, hh.mm, the chart would not display anything at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So, you're saying this query is showing blank result in chart (visualization)

index = ironstream MSGNUM = "IEF404I" ( JOBNAME = TZRPD85 OR TZRPDV9 OR TZRPD35 ) | eval JobEndDate=strftime(_time,"%m/%d/%Y") | eval JobEndTime=strftime(_time,"%H.%M") | lookup MF_Jobname_Info.csv JOBNAME OUTPUT Job_Desc | eval JobNameDesc=JOBNAME+" "+Job_Desc | chart earliest(JobEndTime) over JobEndDate by JobNameDesc

Check the table/statistics for this query, it should give column values as decimal numbers

0 Karma

szimmer661
Explorer

I was wrong above and must have parsed _time with %H:%M. Using %H.%M does show values in both the chart and the table. The y-axis is now showing whole numbers, up to 24 that I'll need to explain are the hours of the day and any hour before noon will not show a leading zero. It'll take some getting used to, but definitely workable.

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...