Splunk Search

Calculate Percentage Difference Between Two Searches

albyva
Communicator

When running a single search on bandwidth data I can calculate the percentage between bandwidth In and Out using this eval fucntion:

| eval percent_difference=((BandwidthIn/BandwidthOut)*100) | table percent_difference _time

What I want to do is calculate the percentage change between bandwidth over a 5/minute time span. For example, lets assume I'm seeing 100/mbps of bandwidth at 12:00p Noon and at 12:05p the bandwidth jumps to 125/mbps. How can I calculate the 25% increase in bandwidth between those two timespans/searches?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

albyva
Communicator

Wonderful. Thanks for the | bucket command tip.

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Like @linu1988 points out, you can use the bucket command to get the values for every 5 mins, then you can use the delta command to calculate the difference between two adjacent events.

Your search would look like:
| bucket _time span=5m| eval percent_difference=((BandwidthIn/BandwidthOut)*100) | delta percent_difference as delta_percent | table _time, percent_difference, delta_percent

Here's the documentation on delta: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/SearchReference/Delta

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Could you please give the below query a try:

|bucket _time span=5m| eval percent_difference=((BandwidthIn/BandwidthOut)*100) | table percent_difference ,_time

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...