Splunk Search

CIDR in a lookup table - no access to transforms.conf?

mbolostk
Explorer

I know it's possible to put CIDR ip ranges in a lookup table. However, my question is, what if I do not have access to modify the transforms.conf file directly and match_type is now shown in the advanced area of the lookup definitions (I'm using 6.1). Is there a way to use something similar to match_type in a regular query search so I can acquire the same type of results even if it's not specified in the transforms.conf file?

troyelanders

Use the 'map' command. Here is an example:

Lets assume you have a lookup table called 'my_csv_list_of_cidr_ranges.csv ' which looks something like:

cidr
199.000.001.0/22
199.000.002.0/22
199.000.003.0/22

Or something like that.

The following code will take that list and compare it to a field called 'my_ip' and return a list of IP addresses that match at least one of the cidr ranges. The myfield* fields are optional and are simply there to pass other fields out of the map command. Be sure to set maxsearches to a value higher than the number of cidrs in you lookup file.

index=myindex sourcetype=mysource 
| map maxsearches=100 search="| inputlookup my_csv_list_of_cidr_ranges.csv 
| eval myfield1=\"$myfield1$\"
| eval myfield2=\"$myfield2$\"
| eval ipmatch=if(cidrmatch(cidr,my_ip),1,0)
| eventstats sum(ipmatch) as total_ipmatch by my_ip
| where total_ipmatch>0
| dedup my_ip
| table * "
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...