Splunk Search

Average URI hits per minute, graphed.

nocostk
Communicator

Scraping my Apache access log I want to find the average request per minute for each of four URI's. Here is my access log (keep in mind there is more in the log than just the four URIs):

192.168.0.1 - - [18/Jan/2011:10:10:10 -0700] "POST /GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam HTTP/1.1" 200 526 "https://mysite.foo.com/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)" "JSESSIONID=8AA;"
192.168.0.1 - - [18/Jan/2011:10:11:10 -0700] "POST /GuiSapi/home.seam HTTP/1.1" 200 526 "https://mysite.foo.com/GuiSapi/home.seam" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)" "JSESSIONID=8AA;"
192.168.0.1 - - [18/Jan/2011:10:13:10 -0700] "POST /GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam HTTP/1.1" 200 526 "https://mysite.foo.com/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)" "JSESSIONID=8AA;"
192.168.0.1 - - [18/Jan/2011:10:35:10 -0700] "POST /GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam HTTP/1.1" 200 526 "https://mysite.foo.com/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)" "JSESSIONID=8AA;"

I'm able to get the graph generated just fine using:

host="ppa*" (uri="/GuiSapi/home.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam") | timechart count by uri

But I'm not sure what I need to do to get the average count based on a string. I see examples for averages on numbers - but not what I need.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

nocostk
Communicator

Working with Splunk support this query is exactly what I need.

host="ppa*" (uri="/GuiSapi/home.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam") | bucket _time span=1m | stats count AS PerMinCount by _time uri | timechart span=10m per_minute(PerMinCount) by uri

View solution in original post

nocostk
Communicator

Working with Splunk support this query is exactly what I need.

host="ppa*" (uri="/GuiSapi/home.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam") | bucket _time span=1m | stats count AS PerMinCount by _time uri | timechart span=10m per_minute(PerMinCount) by uri

tedder
Communicator

I think you need to build up a count per minute, then average it. Here's what I used:

host="ppa*" (uri="/GuiSapi/home.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam") | bucket span=1m _raw | stats count as peruri_count by uri | stats avg(peruri_count) by uri

You can build that up incrementally to see if it's working:

host="ppa*" (uri="/GuiSapi/home.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/viewProducts.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/partner/manageOrders.seam" OR uri="/GuiSapi/cs/returns.seam") | bucket span=1m _raw | stats count as peruri_count by uri

In this case, you should see one row per minute and one column per URI.

0 Karma

nocostk
Communicator

One line for each url. And instead of graphing the sum of the number of requests between each _bucket() I get the average of the number of requests between each _bucket().

0 Karma

tedder
Communicator

You want the average of what? Four lines, each one is the average of what? Or one line that is the average of the four URIs?

0 Karma

nocostk
Communicator

I uploaded an image to ImageShack so I can clarify what I'm after. http://img838.imageshack.us/i/splunk.png/ The top image is what I want except in that image the results are generated by the sum of events. I'm looking more for the average. The second image is what is generated from the second query. Sorry about making this so difficult.

0 Karma

tedder
Communicator

Sorry if I'm assuming incorrectly, but change it to line chart so you can see the four URIs listed as lines, rather than discrete bars.

0 Karma

nocostk
Communicator

Well at first I was doing the standard report view but I just tried advanced charting and the results were the same. The resulting charts are only showing one column for each URI with the values of (I assume) the count() function. That's fine for summarising the data over the specified search range but not for trending. Maybe that's what is intended and I'm just not grasping it correctly?

0 Karma

tedder
Communicator

Your second query should be correct, then. Are you looking at "advanced charting" to display this?

0 Karma

nocostk
Communicator

Hmm, not quite. With the second example it's just printing out four rows (one with each URI) and two columns (uri and peruri_count).

I'd like to be able to send these to timechart() if possible and have each URI be a line on the graph with the avg between two intervals (perhaps defined in timechart() with span=1m?) plotted.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...