Splunk Search

Alpha based y axis

koreanfather
Observer

Hello I'm new to splunk and was wondering if there is a way where the values on the y axis can be non numeric.

I'm trying to create a chart that maps classroom grades so y axis needs to be abcdf.

I was able to translate the grade to a number and then chart it but I was curious to see if there was a possible alternative

Labels (1)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@koreanfather can you add a mockup of what kind of output you are looking for? It can be whiteboard or sketch as well. The y-axis value (numeric) is used to plot the height of column or line chart. If you do not have the value how would you plot the height?

koreanfather
Observer

temp.PNG

@niketn 

Apologies for the crude drawing but the desired output is a chart with X axis being students names and y axis being the grades.

As for the height of the chart, I was able to solve the problem by setting y axis to originally map to A=5,B=4,C=3,D=2,F=1.

My curiosity was if it its possible to change the value of the y axis on a cosmetic level

Thank You

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@koreanfather I did have an answer to add % or same prefix/suffix on y-axis. However, this seems like a data mapping based replacement of y-axis, which is indeed a difficult challenge to implement. I can try to have a look in some spare time 🙂 But see if you can use the following answer along with Data parsing through Custom cell renderer to solve your issue: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-change-the-Y-axis-label-on-a-chart-overlay/td-p...

Could you add details on what is there on x-axis so that we can see if there is an alternate visualization for your needs?

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...