Splunk Search

Alpha based y axis

koreanfather
Observer

Hello I'm new to splunk and was wondering if there is a way where the values on the y axis can be non numeric.

I'm trying to create a chart that maps classroom grades so y axis needs to be abcdf.

I was able to translate the grade to a number and then chart it but I was curious to see if there was a possible alternative

Labels (1)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@koreanfather can you add a mockup of what kind of output you are looking for? It can be whiteboard or sketch as well. The y-axis value (numeric) is used to plot the height of column or line chart. If you do not have the value how would you plot the height?

koreanfather
Observer

temp.PNG

@niketn 

Apologies for the crude drawing but the desired output is a chart with X axis being students names and y axis being the grades.

As for the height of the chart, I was able to solve the problem by setting y axis to originally map to A=5,B=4,C=3,D=2,F=1.

My curiosity was if it its possible to change the value of the y axis on a cosmetic level

Thank You

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@koreanfather I did have an answer to add % or same prefix/suffix on y-axis. However, this seems like a data mapping based replacement of y-axis, which is indeed a difficult challenge to implement. I can try to have a look in some spare time 🙂 But see if you can use the following answer along with Data parsing through Custom cell renderer to solve your issue: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-change-the-Y-axis-label-on-a-chart-overlay/td-p...

Could you add details on what is there on x-axis so that we can see if there is an alternate visualization for your needs?

Upcoming Community Maintenance: 10/28

Howdy folks, just popping in to let you know that the Splunk Community site will be in read-only mode ...

Best Practices for Metrics Pipeline Management

We can’t guarantee the health of our services or a great user experience without data from our applications. ...

New Case Study: How LSU’s Student-Powered SOCs and Splunk Are Shaping the Future of ...

Louisiana State University (LSU) is shaping the next generation of cybersecurity professionals through its ...