Splunk Search

Aggregate results with count

sweiland
Path Finder

Hi there,

Got some pain with aggregating results from 2 queries, which seemed simple at first glance...

Query 1:

sourcetype="xxxx" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical | timechart span=1d count by severity

Query 2:

sourcetype="yyyy" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3 | eval severity=case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical") | timechart span=1d count by severity

The 2 queries are producing same columns ( _time, critical, high, medium), but I find it fairly difficult to simply aggregate the results...

Query1.png

Query2.png

If you have any hints...

This is producing NULL values and the values in the output are not correct:

(sourcetype="yyyy" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR (sourcetype="xxxx" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical) | eval severity=case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical") | timechart span=1d count by severity

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sweiland
Path Finder

Here is the solution I found, thanks a lot for help

(sourcetype="xxx" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR (sourcetype="yyy" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical)
| eval mySeverity = if(isnull(violation_rating), severity, case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical"))
| timechart span=1d count by mySeverity

This seems to be working now

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sweiland
Path Finder

Here is the solution I found, thanks a lot for help

(sourcetype="xxx" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR (sourcetype="yyy" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical)
| eval mySeverity = if(isnull(violation_rating), severity, case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical"))
| timechart span=1d count by mySeverity

This seems to be working now

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Possibly the eval is overwriting values of severity already set with null values. Try using coalesce to only evaluate based on violation_rating if severity isn't already set

(sourcetype="yyyy" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR (sourcetype="xxxx" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical)
| eval severity=coalesce(severity,case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical"))
| timechart span=1d count by severity
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @sweiland ,
Command eval serverity= creates a new severity field with Values in Query 2 only and values from Query 1 will be vanished. Create a new field with a different name and use coalesce function to merge values of two fields like below.

(sourcetype="yyyy" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR (sourcetype="xxxx" severity=medium OR severity=high OR severity=critical) | eval severity_2=case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical"), severity= coalesce(severity, severity_2) | timechart span=1d count by severity

If this reply helps you, an upvote/like would be appreciated.

sweiland
Path Finder

Thanks for hints, I guess it is also not that easy to troubleshoot remotely, but here are the results of this query:

sweiland_0-1613386067340.png

It seems to include other levels (informational, Warning, Error, ...), and does not aggregate some fields (got 2 critical columns, but 5+17=22, should be 2+17=19)

Maybe a join on _time field would have helped aggregating results from the 2 queries ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The search is case insensitive and Critical is not the same as critical when it comes to doing the stats. Try:

(sourcetype="yyyy" request_status=blocked violation_rating>=3) OR sourcetype="xxxx"
| eval severity=coalesce(severity,case(violation_rating=3,"Medium",violation_rating=4,"High",violation_rating=5,"Critical"))
| where (severity="Medium" OR severity="High" OR severity="Critical")
| timechart span=1d count by severity

sweiland
Path Finder

Very weird because query1 & query2 do NOT have any "Critical" intead of "critical" (I added to check if there is any value), but I found out that query2 has also a severity field that I do not need/use.

I tried your query but does not give the waited output, so I tried to lowercase everything, but result is that I have only query1 now as output...

I am wondering if maybe I can use "if(isnull(severity), eval xxxx, severity)" to fill the NULL values or something like that

One query gives me 715 events, and the other 3985 events, so I need to have around 4700 events after aggregation

I am trying to use another field called "mySeverity" to get the filter I need:

| eval mySeverity = if(isnull(severity), coalesce(severity,case(violation_rating=3,"medium",violation_rating=4,"high",violation_rating=5,"critical")), severity)

This still does not work because the severity field is not null as I expected but with propercase value I need to get rid:

sweiland_0-1613393017365.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...