Splunk Search

Adding a new row in stats using values from previous search?

Vivekmishra01
Explorer

I want to add new row to my search result using values from the previous result. Basically I am counting few strings and I want to display percent of that matched string in a new row using some mathematical operators or function. Below is what I have done. My first query works fine but second query in append is giving error.

Error is: Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. Expected AND.

index="12345" "Kubernetes.namespace"="testnamespace"
| bin _time
| stats count(eval(searchmatch("String1"))) AS Success
count(eval(searchmatch("string2"))) AS Sent
count(eval(searchmatch("string3"))) AS Failed
| append [ stats eval Success_percent= Success/(Success+Sent +Failed) AS Success
eval Sent_Percent= Sent/(Success+Sent +Failed) AS Sent
eval Failed_percent= Failed/(Success+Sent +Failed) AS Failed ]
| transpose 0 column_name="Status" | rename "row 1" as Count | rename "row 2" as "Percent"

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you need the appendpipe command rather than append.  As @skramp said, however, the subsearch is rubbish so either command will fail.

| appendpipe [ eval Success_percent = Success/(Success+Sent +Failed),
    Sent_Percent= Sent/(Success+Sent +Failed), 
    Failed_percent= Failed/(Success+Sent +Failed) ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Vivekmishra01
Explorer

This is not exactly what I was looking for, but it helped. "appendpipe" exactly gave me what I was looking for. Thanks.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you need the appendpipe command rather than append.  As @skramp said, however, the subsearch is rubbish so either command will fail.

| appendpipe [ eval Success_percent = Success/(Success+Sent +Failed),
    Sent_Percent= Sent/(Success+Sent +Failed), 
    Failed_percent= Failed/(Success+Sent +Failed) ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your syntax is invalid. By an append command you start a complete ausbrächte which could start with | search index=abcd … . And then an eval could follow but then you don’t need a stats in front of it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...