Splunk Search

Adding SLA compliance percentage

neerajs_81
Builder

Hi All, Need some guidance for calculating SLA  Achieved percentage column. 

This is how my results look like after running base search

SeverityCount_of_AlertsMean_Time_To_CloseSLA TargetSLA Achieved  in %
S1107 mins 8 secs 15 mins 
S256 mins 25 secs45 min 

I have referenced solution provided by @ITWhisperer in https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/adding-percentage-of-SLA-breach/m-p/572942#M199687  but in my case we also have count column.   We are ok with considering only the minutes portion of the Time_to_Close and ignoring the secs if too complicated.

How can i calculate my SLA achieved in % . Is it as simple as doing a 
| eval SLA_Achieved = (Mean_Time_to_close*SLA_Target)/100

One further optimization would if the SLA % achieved is less than the Target, then perhaps color that cell green else Red in color (something on that lines).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect the uptime2string macro is converting your times (which might well have been in seconds) to various strings. Try doing your calculations prior to this macro, or indeed prior to the stats command which is aggregating all the events and effectively removing any useful detail that you would need to work out your achievement rates.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how you are measuring compliance, you may not have sufficient information here.

Your mean time to close for S1 is less than your target so compliance is 100%. Similarly for S2.

However, if you want to know the percentage of S1 tickets were closed within the target time, you need to count the number that were below the target and divide that by the total number of tickets for that severity.

0 Karma

neerajs_81
Builder

Thank you for responding. Can we not just divide the (Avg_time_to_close value / SLA_Target )* 100, that answer will give me the SLA_Achieved percentage. That is how we are doing it manually in Excel right now.

But confusing part here how to calculate this value per severity (as in per row)

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do any calculation you like - the question is what does that calculation tell you?

Suppose for S1 your mean time to close is 30 minutes, and you have a target of 15 minutes. If you do the calculation you are suggesting, this comes out at 200% achievement! Is this really the value you want to report? Firstly, how can double the number of tickets you have, have "achieved" the target SLA?

Given that I suspect you want to know how many of your tickets were closed in under the target time (not over), the calculation you are suggesting does not tell you this.

neerajs_81
Builder

Upvoted your post. Thanks again.  I get now that i need to calculate based on count below target/count above target.   Any advice on how to convert the field  like avg_ttr (shown below) which looks like 1 hours 10 minutes  to minutes only( as in 70 mins). so that it will allow us to compare with the SLA target of 45 mins  ?

neerajs_81_0-1675086649387.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect the uptime2string macro is converting your times (which might well have been in seconds) to various strings. Try doing your calculations prior to this macro, or indeed prior to the stats command which is aggregating all the events and effectively removing any useful detail that you would need to work out your achievement rates.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...