Splunk Enterprise

What is the best way to reinstall a Universal Forwarder without reindexing events?

ricotries
Communicator

I have run into some cases where the best path forward was to reinstall a Universal Forwarder and point them to a Deployment Server to have a clean set of configurations. The problem is that if the same paths are monitored after the reinstallation, events could be reindexed. I know that I could potentially make a backup of the $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/ before uninstallation and place it on the new UF (Solved: How can I prevent reindexing events after a reinst... - Splunk Community), but when I read some of the data in these files, I see references to the GUID of the current instance of the UF. Wouldn't this create a conflict with the new GUID generated for the new instance of the UF? How does Splunk treat this inconsistency?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can preserve the GUID by copying $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg and restoring it after the re-installation of the UF.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Stop Splunk, delete $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/* and reinstall in the same place.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can preserve the GUID by copying $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg and restoring it after the re-installation of the UF.

---

ricotries
Communicator

@richgalloway, should I copy $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg and $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/ before or after the first run? I'd think it should be done before, but wouldn't that mess up with the first run executions?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Copy the files before uninstalling the UF.  Replace the files after re-installing the UF and before the first run.  It won't affect FTR.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...