Splunk Enterprise

Starting Splunk Light

gorlov

I have Tableau Server installed on my local machine.
Yesterday I downloaded and installed Splunk light to the same machine.
When trying to launch Splunk Web interface - it opens Tableau Server log in screen instead.
The default userid/password for Splunk obviously don't work.

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you say the default user/pw doesn't work, are you entering them in and Splunk is not allowing you to get past the login page?

I'm suspecting the Splunk login page isn't loading up. You need to add port 8000 after the hostname. If port 8000 is already taken, then you can change it in web.conf to whatever port you want.

Note: If you don't define the port, it will default to port 80. I'm suspecting you have Tableau already installed on port 80 which explains why Splunk won't open when you navigate there

View solution in original post

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you say the default user/pw doesn't work, are you entering them in and Splunk is not allowing you to get past the login page?

I'm suspecting the Splunk login page isn't loading up. You need to add port 8000 after the hostname. If port 8000 is already taken, then you can change it in web.conf to whatever port you want.

Note: If you don't define the port, it will default to port 80. I'm suspecting you have Tableau already installed on port 80 which explains why Splunk won't open when you navigate there

gorlov

Thank you for your replies.

You are correct - the Tableau Server is also using port 8000
I actually figured this out few minutes ago.

So to fix this - I just had to change the port for Splunk by running:

Run splunk set web-port 8081

and then restarting Splunk.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is Splunk working for you now? If so, can you accept the answer and mark it as complete?

0 Karma

lloydknight
Builder

Hello, shouldn't this be web.conf instead of server.conf?

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, thanks!

0 Karma

lloydknight
Builder

Hello gorlov

Have you tried entering the default port of Splunk?

http://localhost:8000

If port 8000 is already taken, refer to this link below to change the port:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/398933/after-installing-splunk-light-is-there-a-way-to-ch.html

Hope it helps!

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...