Splunk Enterprise

Splunk 6 change in index searching

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On our Splunk 5 system I can search for a sourcetype and it will be found in any non-internal index. For example, searching for 'sourcetype=foo' will find matching events in the default index as well as in index 'bar'.

On our Splunk 6 system, however, the same search returns no results if the event is not in the default index. I have to specify the index to find events not in the default index ('sourcetype=foo index=bar', for example).

Is this change in behavior intentional? I haven't seen mention of it in the release notes.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That change is nothing to do with Splunk 6. In fact, the behavior you describe is "out of the box" behavior for Splunk 5 as well. Your Splunk 5 installation has configured your user role (or perhaps your user, specifically) for "indexes searched by default" to be "all non-internal indexes". You could make the same change to roles on 6 to restore the behavior.

View solution in original post

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That change is nothing to do with Splunk 6. In fact, the behavior you describe is "out of the box" behavior for Splunk 5 as well. Your Splunk 5 installation has configured your user role (or perhaps your user, specifically) for "indexes searched by default" to be "all non-internal indexes". You could make the same change to roles on 6 to restore the behavior.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...