Splunk Enterprise

Logs not forwarding after Log Rotation

sphiwee
Contributor

Hi our logs stop forwarding for a while after they have been archived, and this causes us to miss out on valuable data, how can I make splunk start monitoring that log after the old one has been renamed and archived ?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please share the inputs.conf stanza for the files in question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

where can I find that file?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's on the forwarder.  Or you can run btool on the forwarder.

splunk btool inputs list | grep -v "system\/default"

Just copy and paste the stanza for the rotated files. 

---
0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

hi

I don't want the rotated log because its being archived, I want the new log that's been generated.. because somehow after log rotation logs stop being forwarded.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is understood.  The solution is to correct your inputs.conf file, but we have to see the current setting to know what needs correcting.

---

sphiwee
Contributor

[default]
index = default
_rcvbuf = 1572864
host = $decideOnStartup

[blacklist:$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth]

[blacklist:$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd]

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk]
index = _internal

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/watchdog/watchdog.log*]
index = _internal

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/license_usage_summary.log]
index = _telemetry

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunk_instrumentation_cloud.log*]
index = _telemetry
:

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which stanza is causing the problem?  IOW, what is the name of the rotated file?

I suspect the [monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/watchdog/watchdog.log*] or [monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunk_instrumentation_cloud.log*] stanza is the cause and the rotated files have an additional extension after ".log" (like ".log.gz", for instance).  If so, the solution is to add a blacklist attribute to the stanza(s) so files with the rotated extension are ignored.

---
0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

are you able to tell me what do these lines do [monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/watchdog/watchdog.log*] or [monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunk_instrumentation_cloud.log*] 

because watchdog.log and cloud.log are not the logs we are monitoring

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first of those stanzas monitors files /opt/log/var/log/watchdog directory with names beginning with "watchdog.log".  The second of the stanzas monitors files /opt/log/var/log/splunk directory with names beginning with "splunk_instrumentation_cloud.log".  

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...