Splunk Enterprise

How to modify field extraction?

balcv
Contributor

I have a data source that is being ingested into Splunk using a default field extraction which is working fine.  The data looks like:

DateTime=2020-11-24-10.38.00.869407,type=New-Request,Username=9999999,Client-Mac=F8-4E-73-xx-xx-xx,Called-Station-Id=A0-D3-C1-zz-zz-zz,SSID=myWiFi,NAS-IP=192.168.141.130,Nas-Identifier=CISCO_AP:CN3AD338P5,NAS-Port-Type=Wireless-802.11,Campus=SMB,Location=SMB Buildings HI

The data is being parsed correctly and I get the field name / value pairs in Splunk no problem (field_name=value).  The issue I have is the last field, Location.

The default field extraction is extracting the Location field however if the value contains spaces I am only getting up to the first space as the value in the indexed data.  From the above example, my Location data is returning "SMB" only and not "SMB Buildings HI". 

Is there any way to resolve this to either prevent it splitting the value at the space, or to replace the space with another character such as '_'.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

props.conf:

SEDCMD-kv = s/=([^,]+)(,|$)/="\1"\2/g

work around:

| rex "Location=(?<Location>[^,]+),|$"

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@balcv 

share details of TA and it's version to check configuration and to provide you fix.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

balcv
Contributor

Thanks for replying @thambisetty , but what is TA?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...