Splunk Enterprise

How do I create alert for load balancing on hosts

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I want to create an alert to check the traffic on my tomcat servers and triggers it based on the count or percentage. I have this simple query which gives me the idea that around 1 PM the load on server 4 (red line )was significantly reduced and then it went to zero in next couple of hours. Please find the image attached.

How can i set up an alert which should trigger if this type of condition occurs.

index="myindex" sourcetype=access_combined_wcookie 
| timechart span=1h count by host

shashank_24_1-1593424219748.png

Let me know if someone can advice, It will be a great help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

anilchaithu
Builder

@shashank_24 

add where command to SPL to filter out the threshold value.

index="myindex" sourcetype=access_combined_wcookie 
| timechart span=1h count by host 
| where count > (your threshold value)

run the search to validate the results and saveas -> alert. You should give name, schedule time etc to save the alert 

0 Karma

shashank_24
Path Finder

@anilchaithu Not really. So I don't have any threshold value. What I am looking for is I have 4 servers who behaves as per load balancing. So if the load balancing doesn't work OR if there is any problem with one server (server 4 red line) then the traffic gets redirected to other servers.

I want to trigger an alert based on that. There is no threshold value. The condition should be when once server starts receiving less traffic compared to others.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...