Splunk Enterprise

Deploying DB Connect in a search head cluster.

cdevoe57
Explorer

I have a splunk distributed system with 3 indexers, 3 search heads, a manger, and 2 heavy forwarders.  I am attempting to deploy the DB Connect application to the HF and the SHC.  The SHC has 3 member nodes and the deployer on the manger node.  Ideally, this would all be done with ansible, sadly, the deployer gets in the way.  I can deploy to the HF with ansible, but the deployer keeps removing the db connect app on the SHC.

That said, to deploy I install the app on the manager node, install the drivers, and then copy it to the ...shcluster/apps directory  and run the splunk schcluster apply command.   I've done this both manually and using ansible.   When I run the apply the deployer does not put the entire app on the search heads, it only puts the default and metadata directories on the Search heads in the splunk_app_db_connect directory.   

When I go into the manage  apps on the GUI I see the app installed but it is not visible.  I would prefer not to use the GUI for management and perform all management task via the cli and ansible.  The code is stored in a version control system and gives not only control over the deployments but also trakcs who did what, when, why, and how.

So I guess there are multiple questions. 

1.  Why is the deployer not pushing the entire application to the search heads?
  2. How can I disable the deployer and just use ansible?
Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't mix different distribution methods. If you're using ansible, use it to deploy to the deployer - that's the way to manage the SHC. What the deployer pushes depends on the push mode.

0 Karma

cdevoe57
Explorer

Yes, I use ansible to push the app to the deployer.    Then from within ansible I run the splunk apply shcluster.  

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then check your push mode. If you want to push everything as is, you have to set it to "full" for this app.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...