Splunk Enterprise Security

metric event is not properly structured issue in my SH !

AL3Z
Builder

Hi
I'm seeing an error message in my es search head, How we can sort out this issue Search peer idx-xxx.com has the following message: The metric event is not properly structured, source=nmon_perfdata_metrics, sourcetype=nmon_metrics_csv, host=xyz, index=unix-metrics. Metric event data without a metric name and properly formated numerical values are invalid and cannot be indexed. Ensure the input metric data is not malformed, have one or more keys of the form "metric_name:<metric>" (e.g..."metric_name:cpu.idle") with corresponding floating point values.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The error message seems plain enough.  There is data going into a metrics index that is not formatted properly for that index type.  Either correct the event format or send the data to an events index.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

@richgalloway 
I'm working on Splunk cloud how we can correct the event format or send the data to an events index ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Onboarding of data is completely under your control even in Splunk Cloud.  To send the data to an events index, change the index name in inputs.conf to one that is for events.

Note that there are two types of indexes: event indexes and metrics indexes.  Events indexes are the traditional type and can hold any text data.  Metrics indexes are relatively new and are designed to hold metrics data in a specific format for faster processing.  A metrics index cannot store events nor can it store data that is not properly formatted.

Changing the format of the data depends on the source of that data.  You may have to work with the data engineer to get the data formatted such that it can be stored in a metrics index.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...