Splunk Enterprise Security

how do i search for failed login attempts and lockouts

stayready40
Engager

hello all I am fairly new to using Splunk and would like some help with searching for locked accounts and to Setup an search that checks for failed password on daily basis. I want to check for ids which are constantly appearing on daily basis for x number of times. If the pattern continues then i may  know if a hacker is trying to break into a particular id using a slow password attack.

I have been searching on event ID 4740 but returning no hits even though I have a user that has been locked out, why would this be happening?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you indexing Windows event logs?  If not, then you'll need to install a UF on your AD server and have it forward Windows Security events to Splunk. Then you should be able to search for the desired event code.  WARNING: Windows event logs can be verbose - be prepared for a lot of ingest.

If you're already indexing Windows event logs then check the settings in inputs.conf on the forwarder.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

stayready40
Engager

Thank you I am indexing windows event logs. and I am seeing lockouts now but not for a specific user that had confirmed that his account was locked out.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure you have a UF on all primary AD servers.  If you're filtering events then check that the user is not filtered unintentionally.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...