Splunk Enterprise Security

Why are the notable events from Symantec not accurate?

jc_najera

Hi Community,

Not sure how to explain this... But the whole timeline looks like this:

1. A user plugs in a USB stick on his machine.
  2. Endopoint protection found a suspicious file on an USB stick. The Antivirus categorized the event as "Left Alone".
  3. Splunk Enterprise Security creates a notable event.
  4. One minute after, the user plugged in the USB again
  5. Again, the antivirus detects the suspicious file, only this time the AV categorizes the event as "Cleaned by deletion"
  6. Splunk Enterprise Security creates a second notable event.

Now we have 2 notable events to investigate, even though the computer, the usb stick and the malicious file are the same.
If the analyst did not have looked for other related events he might have thought that those two alerts were completely unrelated.

Is there a way to group those two notable alerts and "make Splunk" show only the most recent alert of those two?

Thanks

Jose.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

I think this is what our ES users have been requesting for the past few years now. As of 4.7, I don't think the functionality is there. I'm not sure if they added it in 5.0.

Hopefully since it seems like ITSI can do it, they'll make it available in ES soon.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...