Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security: How to troubleshoot why a Threat Intelligence download is failing for a single download source?

brwilson
Explorer

We are having an issue where a single threat intelligence download is failing (SANS blocklist) regularly. I can wget the file just fine from the search head where Splunk Enterprise Security is installed, so I'm not sure it's a network problem with reaching the site. Is there any place I can get a more specific error message as to why this is failing?

msg="A threat intelligence download has failed" stanza="sans" status="threat list download failed after multiple retries"

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I logged a case on 4.7.0, I believe the issue will get fixed in 4.7.2
As a workaround, you can edit :
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/DA-ESS-ThreatIntelligence/bin/configuration_checks/confcheck_failed_threat_download.py as below

Change:

job = splunk.search.dispatch(search_string, sessionKey=session_key, earliest=earliest)

To:

job = splunk.search.dispatch(search_string, sessionKey=session_key, earliest_time=earliest)

The difference on that last line is the earliest_time= setting....once I did that the warnings went away.

salbro
Path Finder

Was there ever a resolution to this? I have this problem after upgrading to ES 4.7.1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...