Splunk Enterprise Security

Any chance of filtering out a field for the particular role?

evelenke
Contributor

Hi Splunkers,

need to keep some sensitive data in index, but hide it for some roles. Is there any way to do this and if not - is it on plans?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To do that you'd have to duplicate the event, probably using CLONE_SOURCETYPE, and write each copy to a different index.  One index would have the redacted field while the other would remain cleartext.  The index with the redacted field would be accessible by the particular role while the other index would not.

Splunk doesn't announce it's development plans.  To request a feature, go to https://ideas.splunk.com.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

_gkollias
Builder

Hello -

You could route the sensitive data to a new index using props.conf and transforms.conf and create a new role.  This way the sensitive data is viewed only by users who need to see it.  The routing configurations would look something like this (e.g. sourcetype):

Props:

TRANSFORMS-foo_name = bar_sourcetype

Transforms:

[bar_sourcetype]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::bar

You can mask older data that lives in the previous index by creating and saving regular expressions that. match the field(s) containing sensitive data.   This post has good example:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/How-can-I-mask-data-both-at-index-time-and-search-ti... 

However,  the sensitive data should be removed at the source or stored in a new index that is secure to the folks who should be viewing it.  Hope this helps!

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To do that you'd have to duplicate the event, probably using CLONE_SOURCETYPE, and write each copy to a different index.  One index would have the redacted field while the other would remain cleartext.  The index with the redacted field would be accessible by the particular role while the other index would not.

Splunk doesn't announce it's development plans.  To request a feature, go to https://ideas.splunk.com.

---

evelenke
Contributor

I accept this message, because it has the most convenient approach - use of CLONE_SOURCETYPE.

As a result I have the same data in a single index but in 2 sourcetype, one of them with masked data and restriction filter for guest role "sourcetype=data_masked"  

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Do I understand correctly, that using CLONE_SOURCETYPE will allow me to forward masked data to the same index but separate sourcetype and filter with restrictions of the role (sourcetype=clone) ?

Will inputs work like this or do I need to use new index anyway as the source is the same?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Cloning to the same index won't help because the role still will have access to the un-masked data. Access to data is governed by role and index only.
---
0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

I may use restrictions for the role - limit by sourcetype

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...