Splunk Enterprise Security

Add result of eval to datamodel field

tiaatim
Path Finder

I have a search that evals out a calculation from other fields to a "Duration" field for netflow data.  Is there a way to populate duration in the network traffic datamodel with the results of the calculation?  It currently has firewall data in it but I'd like to add netflow as well.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Searches can't modify data models. You can, however, add a calculated field to the DM.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Searches can't modify data models. You can, however, add a calculated field to the DM.
---

tiaatim
Path Finder

I was thinking about that, but the field already exists in the DM though so I don't want to modify how it is populated for our firewall logs.  If I turned that field into a calculated field then the existing duration value in the FW data would be lost and wouldn't populate the field with fw logs right?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
That's true if you use the same name for two fields. Workaround is to use a different name for the netflow field.
---
0 Karma

tiaatim
Path Finder

I thought about that too but then the datamodel wouldn't populate and the data wouldn't be CIM compliant.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...