Splunk Dev

How to generate users list without admin access?

rendie
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I need to generate a list with all users in Splunk Enterprise, but I stuck on permissions.

I have simple a user (without admin access) and when I tried to make a query to servicesNS

splunk:8089/servicesNS/admin/search/authentication/users

In response, I get "You do not have permissions to access objects of user=admin". Also, I tried to search "index=_audit" and "| rest /services/authentication/users" but without success.

How can I get a list of users in Splunk using a USER account without admin access? Maybe JS or REST can help?

Thanks.

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rendie ,

if you haven't the grants to execute a REST command, the only hint is to run a search on _internal and extract the users that used Splunk!

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"
| dedup user
| sort user
| table user

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ordinary users are limited in what they are allowed to see.  The best you can do is this search

| rest /servicesNS/-/search/authentication/users
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

rendie
Path Finder

@richgallowayusing your solution in my case, as a result, I get only the current log user. This can be useful only for user with ADMIN permissions. But in any way thank you for your help.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
As I said, you are an ordinary user and so are limited in what you may view.
---
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rendie ,

if you haven't the grants to execute a REST command, the only hint is to run a search on _internal and extract the users that used Splunk!

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"
| dedup user
| sort user
| table user

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
By default, however, users do not have access to _internal.
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...