Splunk Cloud Platform

UF checks on file open when "writing"

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Hi Splunkers, I have to perform a UF config and I don't know if some problem could rise. Let me explain better.

For a customer, we are collecting data from Windows Systems using UF. All selected logs come fine. Now, we have to collect logs from Windows DNS query; they are collected in debug mode and, then, stored in a path.
So, before any UF or Splunk action, the flow is:

Win DNS set on debug mode -> Log forwarded on a server -> Logs stored on server's path.

Due the high volume of collected store, on that server there are 2 scripts that follow a retention policy and, in a nutshell, delete logs older than 1 day. This because when DNS forward logs, write a file of maximum 500 MB and then another one is created. So, files are writed until threshold is reached.
Due we want use UF to monitor that path, our customer asked us its behavior regarding file monitoring; his doubt is how UF works when monitoring file, expecially the current writing one.

My knoledge is that UF should work exactely any other Data Input File & Directory monitoring: if we tell, in inputs.conf stanza, "monitor path X" it shuld simply monitor each file in a sequential manner; am I right?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...