Security

how to set the user role "USER" not to delete saved searches and field extractions

shariinPH
Contributor

Hi all,

I want to remove the capability of the user role user not to delete savedsearches and field extractions.
Any idea to do that?
Thanks

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you looking for admin_all_objects?

shariinPH
Contributor

how does that work @jeffland?

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To do it via the web interface, navigate to Settings > Access controls (with your admin user of course) and select "Roles". Click the role "user" and remove said capability from his list.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

does this capability won't allow the user role "user" delete anything?

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Go ahead and try it! I wasn't able to delete (or modify) a saved search or field extraction without that role (of course you need to make sure that the knowledge object has only read permissions for "user" as well).

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

im having a problem right now. I cant open everything under the Setting tab. can you help me with this?

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I saw that question, but unfortunately I have no idea what causes it and how to resolve the issue.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

i accidentally removed the "search" on the user capabilities, i didnt saved it but what happens next is that i cannot open everything even if i am using the admin role.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See the answer there if it helps.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

thanks, will look for it.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

hi @jeffland i already added the admin_all_objects in the capability of the user access. but it does'nt hide the delete command in different objects. I want to restrict the user access to delete objects such as searches, field extractions, etc.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you make sure that the knowledge objects in question have the right permissions? In particular, they must not be write-enabled for the "user" role.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

yes, they are not write enabled

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then a user with the role of user should not be able to edit them (unless of course he created them and they are his "privately shared" knowledge objects).

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

hello @jeffland, i can still see the delete option under the action column ..

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What exactly do your permissions for that object look like, i.e. what is ticked when you click "Permissions" in the list of saved searches?

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

hi jeffland, here, refer to this image

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That looks allright.
Are you sure that your role "user" does not have the capability admin_all_objects? It should be disabled in the .conf file, and the user should also not inherit it from another role.

0 Karma

shariinPH
Contributor

@jeffland yes the user role does not have the capability admin_all_objects. by the way im using the default user role "user" . i did not create a new user access.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And did you make sure that this user "user" is only assigned to this "user" role? If it is, then I can't think of another reason why your user is able to delete knowledge objects.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...