Security

What Splunk capability will enable a user to edit their account to set the default app and timezone for their login?

Roopaul
Explorer

In splunk, when I log in, there is a dropdown under my name with a link
Edit Account.
Which specific Splunk capability will enable user to edit his/her account to set the default app and set timezone?

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi Roopaul,

it's the change_own_password capability. If removed, you still can access the screen but you cannot save any changes.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi Roopaul,

it's the change_own_password capability. If removed, you still can access the screen but you cannot save any changes.

cheers, MuS

ryandg
Communicator

This is actually incorrect. Removing change_own_password does not prevent the user from changing their timezone.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

@ryandg - thanks for pointing this out. Looks like I got this all the way wrong 😕
There is no capability to prevent a user from changing its time zone, but you could try user-prefs.conf http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/User-prefsconf and set the TZ there - which would then affect all users which is also not the best solution 😕

This could be an option: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/126350/change-multiple-users-timezone.html and to this nightly the make sure the users TZ are set correct.

Maybe this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

Roopaul
Explorer

Thanks fir the reply.

If i use this capability, the user is able to change the password and since we are using LDAP I dont want to enable this functionality for the usersvia splunk. so is it a way for user only to change the the app and timezone without having the password option?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

no, the user cannot change its LDAP password from within Splunk, this is only related to the Splunk user password.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...