Security

What Splunk capability will enable a user to edit their account to set the default app and timezone for their login?

Explorer

In splunk, when I log in, there is a dropdown under my name with a link
Edit Account.
Which specific Splunk capability will enable user to edit his/her account to set the default app and set timezone?

0 Karma
1 Solution

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Roopaul,

it's the change_own_password capability. If removed, you still can access the screen but you cannot save any changes.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Roopaul,

it's the change_own_password capability. If removed, you still can access the screen but you cannot save any changes.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

Communicator

This is actually incorrect. Removing change_own_password does not prevent the user from changing their timezone.

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ryandg - thanks for pointing this out. Looks like I got this all the way wrong 😕
There is no capability to prevent a user from changing its time zone, but you could try user-prefs.conf http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/User-prefsconf and set the TZ there - which would then affect all users which is also not the best solution 😕

This could be an option: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/126350/change-multiple-users-timezone.html and to this nightly the make sure the users TZ are set correct.

Maybe this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

Explorer

Thanks fir the reply.

If i use this capability, the user is able to change the password and since we are using LDAP I dont want to enable this functionality for the usersvia splunk. so is it a way for user only to change the the app and timezone without having the password option?

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

no, the user cannot change its LDAP password from within Splunk, this is only related to the Splunk user password.

0 Karma
Don’t Miss Global Splunk
User Groups Week!

Free LIVE events worldwide 2/8-2/12
Connect, learn, and collect rad prizes and swag!