Security

Specific Windows Events Only

achauhan2098
Engager
Hey All,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt see the same such post. 

I want to include some specific windows logs and exclude all others. From what I can see the below config is including other events too - is this because I have Application and System Stanzas with no whitelists? Or do I need to include a blacklist too within this stanza?

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
whitelist = 4776,4720,4723,1102,4624,4726,4625
renderXml=true

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @achauhan2098,

Your whitelist should work, but if you have other WinEventLog stanzas present and do not want to index their events, do set disabled = 1 in those stanzas. By default, all events in the referenced event log will be indexed.

0 Karma

achauhan2098
Engager

Hi @tscroggins 

thanks for the reply. I think that was just my understanding of whitelisting.  do you know of an easy way to find what windows events would sit in which stanzas? most of the time it will be obvious but for some events they could legitimately sit in either camp. 

Thanks! 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...