Security

Regarding Log4j

abhi04d
Engager

Hello everyone, 

So according to the Splunk blog: Splunk Security Advisory for Apache Log4j (CVE-2021-44228 and CVE-2021-45046) | Splunk it says that the affected versions are: "All supported non-Windows versions of 8.1.x and 8.2.x only if DFS is used. " 

I'm using Splunk Enterprise Search Head & Indexer with version 7.3.1 and I can see various log4j-1.2.17.jar files under location "/bin/jars/vendors/spark/2.3.0/lib/", "/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/lib/", /etc/apps/splunk_archiver/java-bin/jars/vendors/spark/ and etc. 

Also, I am attaching the result I received from a search query to determine if DFS is enabled on my Splunk servers.dfs_splunk.png
Should I be concerned about this vulnerability? 
Also to remediate, do I just need to replace this log4j-1.2.17.jar with the latest files directly in the respective directories or do I need to make any changes in the conf files as well? 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you're running an unsupported version of Splunk, the guidance in the blog doesn't apply.  We can make some reasonable conclusions from it, however.

You're not using DFS so you should be safe.

To be "safer", follow the remediation instructions and remove the vulnerable jar files.

The instructions say nothing about changing config files so no changes are necessary.

To be "safest", upgrade to a version of Splunk that fixes the vulnerability.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...