Security

How are permissions inherited by roles?

fvegdom
Path Finder

The splunk documentation describes how users inherit role properties
(allowed indexes are combined, as well as capabilities thus more roles can only relax the restrictions, but search filters work the other way around, so that combining roles makes it only more restrictive)

I was wondering how permissions are inherited by roles. So for example if I set a read permission for a lookup table to a sales_dashboard role and then let the sales_manager role inherit from sales_dashboard, would a user with sales_manager but not sales_dashboard be able to view that lookup?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I read your question correctly,

"... then let the sales_manager role inherit from sales_dashboard..."

means that there is no such thing as

"... a user with sales_manager but not sales_dashboard ..."

So a person who only has the sales_manager role directly, but does not directly have the sales_dashboard role, should still be able to view the dashboard by that inherited right, unless you took that part away from the sales_manager role.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I read your question correctly,

"... then let the sales_manager role inherit from sales_dashboard..."

means that there is no such thing as

"... a user with sales_manager but not sales_dashboard ..."

So a person who only has the sales_manager role directly, but does not directly have the sales_dashboard role, should still be able to view the dashboard by that inherited right, unless you took that part away from the sales_manager role.

0 Karma

fvegdom
Path Finder

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, thanks for clearing that up.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm guessing your last statement is either incomplete or truncated. IMO, users in both sales_manager and sales_dashboard role should be able to see the lookup.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...