Security

CrowdStrike Add-on stops with Error

guarisma
Contributor

Our CrowdStrike Add-on stopped pulling logs via the API giving this error

2021-05-01 19:03:31,879 ERROR pid=31672 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_error:309 | Get error when collecting events.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-crowdstrike-falcon-event-streams/bin/ta_crowdstrike_falcon_event_streams/aob_py2/modinput_wrapper/base_modinput.py", line 128, in stream_events
    self.collect_events(ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-crowdstrike-falcon-event-streams/bin/crowdstrike_event_streams.py", line 71, in collect_events
    input_module.collect_events(self, ew)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-crowdstrike-falcon-event-streams/bin/input_module_crowdstrike_event_streams.py", line 358, in collect_events
    crowdstrike_client()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-crowdstrike-falcon-event-streams/bin/input_module_crowdstrike_event_streams.py", line 234, in crowdstrike_client
    num_feeds = len(response['resources'])
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

I can't understand what happened or how to prevent it for happening again.

Anyone out there with same issue?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

staten
Observer

Here's a possible explanation for the interruption some folks are seeing.

We observed the same behavior today with our on-prem Splunk heavy-forwarder not getting events from the CrowdStrike Falcon Event Streams API for the past 7 days. 

We eventually found that the past 7 days of "missing" events were getting pulled into our Splunk Cloud stack where we also had deployed CrowdStrike Falcon Event Streams add-on for Splunk.  i.e., we had 2 separate Splunk deployments requesting the same data.  It seems that only one API "client" instance would always get the data, and the other left out to dry.

When we disabled the input configured on Splunk Cloud, the Splunk on-prem HF started to get the event stream again, collecting all 7 days of "missing" events as well as new events.

To enable dual inputs, we plan to configure a separate CrowdStrike API key for the Splunk Cloud stack.

I hope this helps others who've seen this issue.

0 Karma

DmitriyGolovnya
Engager

HI @guarisma ! How do you resolve this issue?

0 Karma

guarisma
Contributor

No, never got an answer, but we're not using CrowdStrike anymore

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Crowdstrike-Stream-Stops-Woking/m-p/536216

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...