Security

Change epoc time to human readable format

islam
Explorer

Hi,

i have indexed logs with epoc time format in the raw event like 1623070612620000000,

and this time field is parsed in this format also.

i want to convert this time format to human readable one in permanent way, how can i do that ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @islam 

Search-time conversion,  You have to first extract the epoc into a field_name. For example if you have extracted to field_name - epoc_time.

Then inside props.conf, place this conf on Search Head,  $SPLUNK_HOME/system/local or $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app_name>/local.

[your_sourcetype]
EVAL-readable_time=strftime(epoc_time/pow(10,9), "%d-%m-%YT%H:%M:%S.%3Q")

A new filed will get added as 'readable_time' when you search the sourcetype. 

-----

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rupkumar4sec
Path Finder

Based on the epoch time value you provided, I am assuming it is with nano seconds.

If it is _time, you can add TIME_FORMAT = %s%9N in your props.conf for telling Splunk that timestamp is in epoch form with nanoseconds.

If it is not _time, You can create a calculated field using something like this
strftime(timefield/pow(10,9),"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q")

If you are doing it in search:
| eval timefield=strftime(tiemfield/pow(10,9),"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%Q")

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @islam 

Search-time conversion,  You have to first extract the epoc into a field_name. For example if you have extracted to field_name - epoc_time.

Then inside props.conf, place this conf on Search Head,  $SPLUNK_HOME/system/local or $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app_name>/local.

[your_sourcetype]
EVAL-readable_time=strftime(epoc_time/pow(10,9), "%d-%m-%YT%H:%M:%S.%3Q")

A new filed will get added as 'readable_time' when you search the sourcetype. 

-----

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...