Reporting

report on syslog activity

tuxford
Path Finder

Hello

I need a simple way to create some sort of report on what hosts log syslog data to splunk for syslog compliance to external party and if that could be a job that emailed it every month that would be great, if someone has a solution or tip that would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

This search may take a long time to finish, since it will actually go through each event for the sourcetype last month, BUT it will give you what you want.

sourcetype=syslog earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon | chart c by host date_month 

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

This search may take a long time to finish, since it will actually go through each event for the sourcetype last month, BUT it will give you what you want.

sourcetype=syslog earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon | chart c by host date_month 

Hope this helps,

Kristian

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Just be aware that this is not very efficient. /k

0 Karma

tuxford
Path Finder

Yes, this did the trick, thank you.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

tuxford,

I think the quickest way would be to use the "metadata" command (docs here). As this provides results very (VERY) quickly. You could do something like (include the first pipe at the very beginning):

|metadata type=hosts index=_internal

And then once you have verified the results, simply create an alert (docs here) from the search view (flashtimeline). And have it email a report once a month (providing you have setup SMTP, docs here ).

Regards,

MHibbin

tuxford
Path Finder

What I need is month, host and count of events by host for the last month. So the job runs on the first every month and reports that for the month before. If someone has a quick fix that would be great 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...