Reporting

alert condition if number of events is NOT equal

klee310
Communicator

I am trying to setup a saved-search with email alert; with the following Alert Conditions properties:

• Perform actions: if number of events...
  • is 'not equal to' threshold: '25'

but I can't seem to find this 'not equal' property anywhere. The only properties I can select from the list are: is greater than, is less than, is equal to, drops by, and rises by.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you really saying that you want the email sent if there are 24 events, or 26 events, or 1 event, or 2000 events, but if there are exactly 25 events, then you are not told about it? That's unusual.

The custom condition in this case would just be something like | stats count | where count!=25

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you really saying that you want the email sent if there are 24 events, or 26 events, or 1 event, or 2000 events, but if there are exactly 25 events, then you are not told about it? That's unusual.

The custom condition in this case would just be something like | stats count | where count!=25

klee310
Communicator

for a regular saved-search, its called 'alert_threshold', accompanied by a bunch of other variables, 'actions', 'alert_comparator', 'alert_condition', etc.. this can all be see from https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/nobody/myApp/saved/searches. If i simply used a regular condition, say 'is greater than', there is an additional text-box to fill in this value (on the dummy-settings-form). thanks for the reply anyways.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well where does this value come from?

0 Karma

klee310
Communicator

yes, this is a saved search - with email alert. but if i choose the default options, such as 'if number of events' 'is greater than', i can also put a threshold value. They key of this problem is that '25' is an unknown value. How would i reference this value from within my custom condition if this is the case?

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

I think klee means a saved search that alerts via email.?!

0 Karma

klee310
Communicator

if I go with the custom-condition route, how would i access the a value similar to the threshold variable from within the condition?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...