Reporting

Why does the appendpipe command work, but I get an error with append in multiple saved searches using the loadjob command?

ishaanshekhar
Communicator

Hi,

I have a saved search which is working fine and gives fine results using |loadjob command.

However, when I use append command for the same saved search, I get an error.

Interestingly, when I use appendpipe command instead of append, it works fine.

Curious to know why append doesn't work and appendpipe does when working with multiple saved searches?

alt text

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Who is the owner of the search? Could you try to change the owner of the saved search to be 'nobody' (need to update local.meta file under the application search for this saved search.), run the search again and try the search.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You actually are experiencing the same error it is just that appendpipe does not pass the error back to you (hides it) whereas append does indicate the error back to the user. IMHO, this is a bug in appendpipe and somebody (I vote for you) should open a support case.

ishaanshekhar
Communicator

@woodcock
But appendpipe is giving the correct results (I appendpiped different savedsearches to validate).
I was thinking there is some issue with append instead. This is because I am not trying to do anything fancy. Just appending results of multiple savedsearches, which are working fine when run individually.

If my approach of appendpipe is not correct, what other command/way should I follow instead?

Thanks
Ishaan

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...