Reporting

Use Outputcsv file as input to another search

bharathkumarnec
Contributor

Hi All,

We wanted to use the outputcsv file to filter events in splunk using another search.

For example:

Search 1: index=abc "condition" | outpucsv abc.csv

Search2 : wanted to use abc.csv as input to filter events in splunk.

Regards,
BK

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi bharathkumarnec,
I think that you want to do this to have quick answers in your searches.
If this is your scope, you should use outputlookup instead outputcsv:

• create a lookup called e.g. mylookup.csv;
  • schedule a search index=abc "condition" | table field1 field2, field3 | outputlookup mylookup.csv using a frequency useful for your scope;
  • run your search using lookup as a filter my_search [ | inputlookup mylookup.csv | fields field1 ] | ...

Beware that the key field field1 must be the same both in lookup and in your search, if not you have to rename it in your subsearch.

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi bharathkumarnec,
I think that you want to do this to have quick answers in your searches.
If this is your scope, you should use outputlookup instead outputcsv:

• create a lookup called e.g. mylookup.csv;
  • schedule a search index=abc "condition" | table field1 field2, field3 | outputlookup mylookup.csv using a frequency useful for your scope;
  • run your search using lookup as a filter my_search [ | inputlookup mylookup.csv | fields field1 ] | ...

Beware that the key field field1 must be the same both in lookup and in your search, if not you have to rename it in your subsearch.

Bye.
Giuseppe

Chandras11
Communicator

Hi, Thanks for the answer, It is quite helpful for me as well. However, I have a few questions here:-
1. create a lookup called e.g. mylookup.csv; : Do you mean lookup table and lookup defination both?
2. I used similarly | outputlookup mylookup.csv with 2 fields field1 and field2 then I tried to use | inputlookup mylookup.csv | table field1 field 2 But it is giving me just the field 2 and field 1 is empty. Is there any specific way to get both fields
3. in my_search I have a field search_field which has the same value as field1. I need to match both field values and if they are the same, I need to extract the related field2 value in my search.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi bharathkumarnec,
1. yes, lookup table and lookup defination both, if you like you could also create an automatic lookup but I don't like this because there's the risk to lose control on your searches.
2. beware to the field names, usually this is the problem! anyway you can use all the fields you like in your subsearch, remember only that you cannot have more than 50,000 results in your subsearch.
3. use eval to give the value of field1 also to search_field ( [ | inputlookup my_lookup.csv | eval search_field=field1 | fields field1 search-field] ), the only thing to remember is that the field names that you want to use to match MUST be the same in search and subsearch, otherwise it doesn't run.

I hope to be helpful for you.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

Chandras11
Communicator

Hi, Thanks a lot for this answer. I completely forgot to comment before. Your inputs are really helpful for me to understand it.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It was a pleasure!
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...