Other Usage

Setting up a home lab

yemerchandise
Engager

A question about the architecture of the HomeLab
Hello,
I am a Splunk Enterprise Certified Admin who has an opportunity to advance to Splunk Architect with someone retiring. I plan on taking the Splunk Architect courses but would like to set up a home lab to give myself practice and experience.

To best prepare me, I’d like to set up a virtual Home Lab with a Splunk distributed search environment, an indexer cluster, and a deployment server to deploy all the apps to the forwarders. How many total Ubuntu Server VMs in Hyper-V should I spin up? I think one search head, at least two indexers (right?), the deployment server, a management node, and possibly an HF for practice. So maybe a total of six VMs? Or is that too few….or too many? It depends on how many Splunk roles each VM can play, which I’m not entirely sure about. It isn’t easy to find this information online.

I’m not planning on ingesting much data, just a few data sources for practice. This is more of a Proof of Concept and learning opportunity for me from an architectural perspective.

Labels (1)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have a look at the description for the Deployment lab at https://education.splunk.com/instructor-led-training/splunk-enterprise-deployment-practical-lab.  This part of the Architect certification process worries applicants the most so you may want to practice the tasks outlined.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...