Reporting

Is there any way to run scripted inputs with commands in them that aren't installed on the splunksearch instance?

bsg273
Path Finder

I have created a scripted input (/opt/splunk/etc/apps/mytestapp/bin/scriptedinput1.sh) to run against my kubetools instances that simply runs a kubectl command and outputs json:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/kubectl -n mynamespace1 get deployments,statefulsets -o json

However, after I go to set up the scripted input in the Data inputs section of the Splunk console and run a search, I'm seeing this error in splunkd.log:

ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/mytestapp/bin/scriptedinput1.sh" /opt/splunk/etc/apps/mytestapp/bin/scriptedinput1.sh: line 3: /usr/bin/kubectl: No such file or directory

I suspect it's throwing this error because kubetools is only installed on the kubetools instances and not the splunksearch instance.  Is there any way to run scripted inputs with commands in them that aren't installed on the splunksearch instance?  If not, what alternative solution would be recommended?  Any assistance with solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Install a Universal Forwarder on the remote instance and run the scripted input there.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

bsg273
Path Finder

So I already had Splunk Forwarder installed on the remote instance (my-kubetools-1), so created the script (/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/scriptedinput1.sh) on there, gave it 700 permissions and changed its ownership to splunk:splunk.  I also appended the following to the end of my inputs.conf (/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/inputs.conf):

[script://./bin/scriptedinput1.sh]
disabled = 0
interval = 60
sourcetype = scriptedinput1
index = om

However, I'm still not getting any events when running the following search:

host=my-kubetools-1* index=om sourcetype=scriptedinput1

Did I miss something?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Verify the script runs correctly and writes output to stdout.

Be sure to restart the UF after changing .conf files.

Verify you can search for the UF's internal logs (host=my-kubetools-1* index=_internal).  If you can't then you have a connectivity problem and that needs to be fixed before data can be indexed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...