Reporting

How to setup an email server

xvxt006
Contributor

Hi,

i have installed splunk on my local which is windows 7. i have installed hmail server and i see that it has host name as localhost and it has username/pwd. I gave those details in the "Email Alert settings" host as localhost and corresponding username password. But i am not getting any emails. Do i need to do anything else?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi xvxt006,

this is not a Splunk problem, your hmail server is not accepting the username/password you're using with sendemail. Please see the hmail server docs how to setup your hmail server.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi xvxt006,

this is not a Splunk problem, your hmail server is not accepting the username/password you're using with sendemail. Please see the hmail server docs how to setup your hmail server.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

xvxt006
Contributor

Thank you. i am checking this.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

It looks like you need to check the username and password settings you configured in Splunk email configuration.

xvxt006
Contributor

Thx..here is the log...

Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:(535, 'Authentication failed. Too many invalid logon attempts.') while sending mail to: xvxt006@company.com
02-21-2014 13:21:38.076 -0600 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:Connection unexpectedly closed while sending mail to: xvxt006@company.com
02-21-2014 13:32:38.088 -0600 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:Connection unexpectedly closed while sending

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Check the splunkd log for failures. If there are no failures, then the mail server is not working somehow. If there are errors, then post them.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...