Reporting

How to setup an email server

xvxt006
Contributor

Hi,

i have installed splunk on my local which is windows 7. i have installed hmail server and i see that it has host name as localhost and it has username/pwd. I gave those details in the "Email Alert settings" host as localhost and corresponding username password. But i am not getting any emails. Do i need to do anything else?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi xvxt006,

this is not a Splunk problem, your hmail server is not accepting the username/password you're using with sendemail. Please see the hmail server docs how to setup your hmail server.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi xvxt006,

this is not a Splunk problem, your hmail server is not accepting the username/password you're using with sendemail. Please see the hmail server docs how to setup your hmail server.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

xvxt006
Contributor

Thank you. i am checking this.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

It looks like you need to check the username and password settings you configured in Splunk email configuration.

xvxt006
Contributor

Thx..here is the log...

Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:(535, 'Authentication failed. Too many invalid logon attempts.') while sending mail to: xvxt006@company.com
02-21-2014 13:21:38.076 -0600 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:Connection unexpectedly closed while sending mail to: xvxt006@company.com
02-21-2014 13:32:38.088 -0600 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from 'C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py': ERROR:root:Connection unexpectedly closed while sending

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Check the splunkd log for failures. If there are no failures, then the mail server is not working somehow. If there are errors, then post them.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...