#Random
This is a place to discuss all things outside of Splunk, its products, and its use cases.

Label User IDs based on name

Madmax
Path Finder

index=gbts-vconnection * onEvent DISCONNECTED (host=Host1)
| rex field=_raw "(?ms)^(?:[^:\\n]*:){5}(?P<IONS>[^;]+)(?:[^:\\n]*:){8}(?P<Device>[^;]+)(?:[^;\\n]*;){4}\\w+:(?P<VDI>\\w+)" offset_field=_extracted_fields_bounds

This lists all Devices that have disconnected.  I'm trying to create a chart that lists only Macs, or Windows based on a key word like "mac" or "laptop"  in the Device name.  I tried using eval command but can't seem to get it working.  

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Madmax
Path Finder

Thank you for your help.  You got me on the right track.  While searching using that command I found another way to get what I was looking for by using the search command which I could then use wildcards to filter out what I need or don't need.    

This gave me all Windows devices:

|search Device=*DESKTOP* OR *laptop* OR *lenovo* OR *dell* OR *HP*| stats dc("IONS") as total_users

This listed all devices besides what I was looking for:

| search NOT Device IN (*LAPTOP*,*Desktop*,*lenovo*,*dell*,*HP*,*MAC*,*Ipad*,)
| stats dc("IONS") as total_users

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What exactly did you try with the eval command?  How did the results not meet expectations?

To properly assist with a regex-related question, we need to see some example (sanitized) data.  Have you confirmed the regular expression works on regex101.com?  The "\\w+" constructs look like they should be something else (probably "\w+").

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Madmax
Path Finder

Yes it absolutely has data.  I already have a full dashboard with disconnect data based on (IONS) User IDs, and Device names.  I am just stuck on this request to be able to filter the data by device type using keywords.  I don't think the eval command accepts wildcards like *mac* which I need.  Some Device names are for example "John-mac" others are "laptop-Mary", etc.  

I can get data using the following:

| stats count by "User ID"

| sort -count

but when I try using eval below it gives me nothing.  I can confirm that there is a Device named IPAD, Perhaps I should use another command but I'm fairly new at this.  Thank you! 

|eval DeviceType=case(Device=IPAD, "Macs", Device=Laptop, "Windows")
|stats count by Device, DeviceType

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Again, without seeing sample data it's very difficult to determine why the search is not matching the data.

Try using quotes in the eval command

|eval DeviceType=case(Device="IPAD", "Macs", Device="Laptop", "Windows")

or use the match function to match an embedded string

|eval DeviceType=case(match(Device, "IPAD"), "Macs", match(Device, "Laptop"), "Windows")

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Madmax
Path Finder

Thank you for your help.  You got me on the right track.  While searching using that command I found another way to get what I was looking for by using the search command which I could then use wildcards to filter out what I need or don't need.    

This gave me all Windows devices:

|search Device=*DESKTOP* OR *laptop* OR *lenovo* OR *dell* OR *HP*| stats dc("IONS") as total_users

This listed all devices besides what I was looking for:

| search NOT Device IN (*LAPTOP*,*Desktop*,*lenovo*,*dell*,*HP*,*MAC*,*Ipad*,)
| stats dc("IONS") as total_users

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...