Monitoring Splunk

Raid 6, setting up for performance issues?

xxyz
Explorer

Deploying new indexers and trying maximize the storage we have. Raid 6 was configured on 15K SAS drives for Hot/Warm buckets and Raid 6 on 10K SAS drives for Cold Buckets. We average around just under 250 GB of data / day. I keep reading to have Hot/Warm on Raid 10. So am I setting myself up for performance issues here?

Tags (3)

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Supposing, I wonder, whereby I found my self lost, that my internal dialogue was in fact a configuration 6 of Raid. I thusly found myself feeling ill, as I had lost parity of my own thoughts, and slowly began to rebuild my nervous system of coherent thought. For while my thoughts worked correctly, I feel fine. At the mere mention of an unstable coaxial connection, I immediately began to slow and consume more resources to rebuild myself. I couldn't keep up with both the sensory input and the internal rebuild. I began to backlog until I crashed. Upon waking, I found myself in a corrupted state, even more so than most politicians. Wearily I tell you, begin your life in the 1+0 of Raid, and happier shall you be.

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you can do Raid 10 instead for hot/warm buckets, that would be best.

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you are setting yourself up for potential performance problems at that ingest rate.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. It's very likely.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...